Projects are successful only when teams work well together. Everyone knows the importance of communication to effective collaboration, but data management is just as critical and frequently overlooked. The overwhelming majority of today's IT projects are managed with disconnected tools that create silos of data which hinder collaboration. At best, some projects have their tools loosely integrated, but these patchwork connections are typically fragile and incomplete. The result, according to the Standish Group and others, is a project failure rate close to 70 percent.
Only workspace.com combines all of a project's data in a single, affordable, cloud-based platform. The platform approach replaces data silos with a single source of truth. It connects all of a project's data in a much more reliable and complete way than simple integrations. Before you buy another tool, or start down the path of building a suite of disconnected tools, consider these benefits of having all of your data connected together in a unified, cloud-based platform:
- Superior Traceability: Any two project artifacts can be linked together to create traceable chains of data. For example, one can link a change request to a requirement to a test case to a test result to a defect. Produce traceability reports to quickly see which requirements have been tested or whether any requirements have been changed since their corresponding test cases were created.
- Contextual Collaboration: Since everything is linked together, information is always presented in context. For example, a programmer fixing a bug and easily look at the requirement that spawned the defect and read all the discussions and use cases around the requirement to make sure the defect is correctly addressed.
- Process Automation: Workspace.com can automate the processing of artifacts through the development life cycle. For example, change requests can be converted to requirements and requirements can be converted to tasks or test cases.
- Secure 24/7 Access: Anyone with an Internet connection can access their data in the cloud at anytime. Role-based security controls access to those with the correct privileges. All data is backed-up remotely and redundant systems support access to servers. Best of all, nobody will ever have to wonder if they are working with the current version of data.
- Single Source of Truth: When all project data is kept in a single workspace then everyone knows where to find the information they need in its entriety. This means no more getting blind-sided by a missed email or other data that was not properly shared.
Traditional tools can provide some of these benefits for some aspects of a project. Only a unified, cloud-based workspace will provide all of these benefits across the entire project life cycle and truly connect your team.
- 10 tips to fighting scope creep
- Strive for total project success
- Are you a tool or a workspace?
- Project management insanity
- Workspace.com: 3 steps to success
The UCI Medical Center, one of America's Top Hospitals, relied on workspace.com to successfully implement a $50 million healthcare information management system. The project involved 150 people, thousands of requirements and the integration of 50+ legacy systems.
TechRepublic Review of Workspace.com:
Justin James from TechRepublic says workspace.com (formerly called Lighthouse) "hits all of the right notes," and "deserves serious consideration by IT professionals."
Read the review here.